Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The Only Cab on the Road


I was listening to a song on the radio called "Cab" by Train. The chorus of the song says, “Sometimes I think I'm the only cab on the road.” In the song, it appears that someone is trying to get over a broken relationship and they are faced with the problem of loneliness. I can identify with this song on a number of levels, as I am sure you can as well.

Most of us have felt lonely in our lives. We have all been in relationships that have ended, bringing us loneliness. Some of have been in romantic relationships that have ended, others have had loved ones pass away. Some people have had good friends move away or we have graduated and went off to college leaving friends behind. Anyone with children will (or you hope) experienced children leaving home. Anytime someone special leaves our lives, we can feel lonely.
I also think loneliness occurs without the ending of relationships. Some people are facing situations in their lives in which they feel like they are the only people involved and nobody can help them out.

Sadly, our world plays into our feelings of loneliness. With the age of technology we can even grocery shop without leaving our homes. Children no longer play out in the neighborhood, but they stay inside watching TV, playing video games, or they are on the computer. Sometimes we find that we do not even know our neighbors much less those across town. Our world is a lonely place to be.

As much as I love the church, I am not sure the church is helping with our problems. I am not sure how many times I have heard people say, “It is between you and God.” Where did the church go? No wonder people feel so lonely in our world.
In thinking about the loneliness of our world I am reminded of importance the Bible places on fellowship. In fact, I am convinced that the life the Bible wants us to live should never be lived in isolation. Fellowship with others is crucial to our faith. I think the cure for loneliness begins by recognizing that we are not in this alone. God has given us his Son, Jesus to redeem us and has established the church to help us live our lives to the fullest. Remember, you are not the only cab on the road. Let others journey with you in life.

No comments: