Thursday, February 12, 2009

Notes for the week of 2/9-2/13 Exercise in Being Thankful

In staff meeting Tuesday, Mary Grey, our children’s director led the devotional. She asked us to fill up a page of things that we are thankful for as a way of centering ourselves. Today, I decided to take some time and write out the things I am thankful for.

1. My heart’s desire was to be a husband and a father. God has answered my first desire and is about 1 week away from answering the second one
2. My wife Melanie has been more than just an answer to prayer. She is my best friend and partner in life. Things are not always easy as we all know, but it is so great being with someone who loves you unconditionally.
3. Caleb is not even born yet and he has changed our lives already. I am thankful for him already and I am excited to meet him.
4. I have the best parents in the world. If I can be half the dad to Caleb as my dad is to me, Caleb will be well off. My mom is such a hard worker and loves Jason and me so much. She would do anything for her boys.
5. I was able to move back to Chattanooga and be close to my parents and my brother and his family. It has also allowed me to reconect with some other friends from childhood.
6. My brother and I get to eat lunch together and we have a good relationship.
7. My grandparents were all wonderful people. While they have passed on, their influence on me will always be strong.
8. Lila, Ana, and Elise, my nieces. Lila changed our whole family dynamics when she was born and it has been SO awesome watching her grow up. I am excited to see the twins grow us as well. ( I am tearing up at this point)
9. God put me in the right church at the right time. First-Centenary was a great fit for me and has been life changing. I met my wife at FCUMC and have wonderful friends.
10. The Vine has been so amazing over the past 6 years and has done so much better than I could have ever imagined. God has blown my mind by helping it to be where it is.
11. I work with a great staff, from the pastors I serve with to the support staff and directors. We all work so well together and I am blessed everyday when I come to work. I also have a great staff in the Vine who works so hard even though I feel they are underpaid.
12. I will always be thankful for the time I spent in Cynthiana. In some ways it was the hardest time of my life and in other ways, it was one of the most blessed times. I loved youth ministry, but more than that, I loved the families I got to know. They will always be a part of my life.
13. I am blessed to be able to meet with two small groups that really help me in my daily walk and life. Thanks guys
14. I have worked with four wonderful senior pastors (two as a youth director and two at FCUMC) who are actually quite different. I have learned a lot from them.
15. Unlike so many people, I love what I do for a living. I am so blown away that I get to be a pastor and preach sermons for a living. WOW!
16. My wife and I were able to buy a house. It is not huge, but it is a home that we can call our own when so many people cannot buy a house.

No comments: