Friday, March 06, 2009

The Lord’s Supper Breakdown

Matthew

Mark

Luke

When evening came, Jesus was reclining at the table with the Twelve.

When evening came, Jesus arrived with the Twelve.

14 When the hour came, Jesus and his apostles reclined at the table.

  

15 And he said to them, "I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer.

  

16 For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God."

  


17 After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, "Take this and divide it among you.

21 And while they were eating, he said, "Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me."

18 While they were reclining at the table eating, he said, "Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me—one who is eating with me."

21 But the hand of him who is going to betray me is with mine on the table. 22 The Son of Man will go as it has been decreed. But woe to that man who betrays him!"

22 They were very sad and began to say to him one after the other, "Surely not I, Lord?"

19 They were saddened, and one by one they said to him, "Surely not I?"

23 They began to question among themselves which of them it might be who would do this.

    23 Jesus replied, "The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me. 24 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born."

20 "It is one of the Twelve," he replied, "one who dips bread into the bowl with me. 21 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born."

 

25 Then Judas, the one who would betray him, said, "Surely not I, Rabbi?" Jesus answered, "You have said so."

  

 26 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, "Take and eat; this is my body."

22 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, "Take it; this is my body."

    19 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me."


27 Then he took the cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you.

23 Then he took the cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, and they all drank from it.

20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying,

28 This is my blood of the [b] covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

    24 "This is my blood of the [c] covenant, which is poured out for many," he said to them.

"This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

29 I tell you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom."

25 "Truly I tell you, I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God."

18 For I tell you I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes."

    30 When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.

26 When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.

 

Events in all three synoptic gospels:

  1. Ate a meal with disciples
  2. Jesus pointed out that someone would betray him
  3. The disciples question Jesus about who it is
  4. Jesus broke bread and said, this is was his body
  5. Jesus took a cup and said that this was a new covenant poured out for many
  6. Jesus says he either will not drink again until he is in God's kingdom


     

Events in Matthew and Mark, but not Luke:


 

  1. The one, who betrays his will dips into his bowl, will betray him. Then he warns about this.
  2. They sing a hymn

Events in Luke, but not in Matthew and Mark:

  1. Jesus says he is eager to eat the Passover meal with the disciples before he suffers
  2. Jesus adds that he will not eat this meal again until he does so in God's kingdom
  3. Jesus' saying about not drinking from the cup again is done so as he passes an extra cup.

Events in Matthew, but not in Mark and Luke

Judas specifically asks if he will be the one to betray Jesus and Jesus reply's, "You have said so."

No comments: