Monday, October 03, 2005

October 4, 2005
Underdog
Isaiah 40:27-31

Isaiah 40 is one of my favorite passages in the Bible. From what I can tell, chapter 40 provides a dramatic shift in the narrative. Some people say it begins a second book within Isaiah. Up to this point, Isaiah has primarily been a warning to Israel that if they continue in their sin, they will be removed from their land. Chapter 40 begins with a proclamation of comfort because God has pardoned Israel's sins. A messenger will come and prepare the way for God and the proclamation of good news.

Verse 27 picks up this same theme by telling of how God has not only heard the cries of Israel, but responded. Israel has been an underdog to other nations who have come in and swept them away into exile. Although these nations are strong, they do not compare to the God of Israel who has taken notice of Israel’s cries for help. Unlike even the strongest nation, God never grows weary, but gives strength to those who are weak. Isaiah tells his readers that if they wait on the Lord, He will lift them up on wings of eagles so that they will run and not grow weary.

This reminds me of a song by Audio Adrenaline called Underdog. Here are the words,

I am so weak and I'm so tired
It's hard for me to
Find enough strength to feed the fires
That fuel my ego
And consequently all my pride has all but died
Which leaves me
Down on my knees
Back to the place I
Should have started from

Been beat up
Been broken down
Nowhere but up
When you're facedown
On the ground
I'm in last place
If I place at all
But there's hope for this underdog !
That's the way, uh-huh, we like it!
That's the way, uh-huh, we like it!
You can call me the underdog

In many ways, like Israel, I believe we are all underdogs. There are many things in life that beat us down and destroy our pride. Certainly Israel was an underdog compared to some of the mighty nations around them. The good thing about being an underdog though, is that it brings you to your knees and causes you to wait on the Lord. It reminds us that our strength really comes from God. Therefore, there is hope for all of us underdogs because we wait on God’s strength.

No comments: